Life Lately

Brown County, Indiana

I used to make these lists a lot about what was going on in life lately, and in my procrastination from schoolwork, I'm feeling another one of these this week.  How's your weekend so far? Mine has been unexpectedly relaxing-- I was supposed to work all weekend but got switched from Saturday to Thursday this week, so this little Saturday off was such a nice treat.  Hope you have a restful Sunday-- I'm back to work tomorrow but am feeling ready after a good day of resting my body, mind, and soul.

Lately, I'm...

Listening to Georgica Pond, the new Johnnyswim album.  It's divine and heavenly, and I've mentioned it several times in several spaces on the Internet, but if you haven't already checked it out, do yourself a favor and do so immediately.  I won't even be offended if you close out of my blog right now to go check it Georgica Pond.  Here is a link to one of the songs if you need quick access.

Reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, which has been pretty good so far.  I'm way more into these nonfiction, self-help kind of books than I would ever openly admit in a large crowd. Part of why I really like this one is because I listen to the Happier podcast with Gretchen and her sister Elizabeth.  My friend Chancey introduced me to their podcast and I have loved it ever since.  Also just because I don't know where else to include this on my list, here's some books that are sitting on my nightstand for me to read after finals are over:

  • The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
  • The Mothers by Jennifer Gilmore
  • The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
  • Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist (yes, I plan to read this one again)
  • Small Victories by Anne Lamott
  • Modern Lovers by Emma Straub
  • Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
  • Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
  • Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott
  • Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
  • Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott (yes, I know there is a lot of Anne Lamott on my list :))
  • Mudbound by Hilary Jordan
  • A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller
  • Dinner: A Love Story by Jenny Rosenstrach 
  • Commonwealth by Anne Patchett
Needless to say, I have high aspirations for my free time and realize that very little of this list will be accomplished!

Wearing fall nails colors, Spooky socks, and big blankets anytime I'm home.  Fall is here and it feels magical outside.  I'm not ready for winter, so Fall please stay awhile.

Eating a lot of fruits and vegetables.  Whole30 is in full swing and we are 10 days away from finishing.  It's been a really good practice in food discipline and in helping me change my relationship with food, and I am hoping that I can continue similar discipline when I am not on such a strict regimen after Whole30.  I'm worried because I'm a very all or nothing kind of person, so I fear that I may go back to my normal eating habits which is something I truly do not wish to do. 

Thinking about Christmas already and trying to be disciplined with our Christmas budget.  I start decorating for Christmas on November 1st (sorry to those who save this for December-- I do not believe in such nonsense) and therefore only have a few more days to contemplate the Christmas season before it is upon us.

Dreaming up millions of ideas for this little house of our's.  It was somewhat of a big deal for me to paint the kitchen and the cabinets this summer, and since that rehab, I have yet to lift a finger for anything else.  I want to finish another wall of the kitchen that is tough to get to, and I also want to paint my office and our bedroom/bathroom, but have yet to take this on.  Perhaps when I go part time in January, or when I'm locked inside during the cold winter trying to keep warm with Doc and a space heater.  

Looking for God's glory in the smallest of things-- pumpkins, changing trees (I LOVE seeing trees that are right in the middle of their fall transition--when half of it is green and the other half is burnt orange or blazing red), sunsets.  

Loving fall candles galore and cozy blankets while sitting on the rocking chairs on our front porch.  THIS IS MY SEASON.  Ok I'm done talking about fall. 

Drinking a lot of coffee with almond milk or, believe it or not, BLACK COFFEE (all the praise hands).  I have a memory of watching LeHigh beat Duke in the NCAA tournament while I was in college and watching it at the Borough while drinking black coffee.  I felt so sophisticated, yet secretly hated drinking my coffee black.  Now I'm a pro and feel like I enjoy the coffee taste so much more than I ever did.  

Wishing we could hop on a plane over to Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain, England, etc.  I am antsy to travel again but we haven't been able to because of school schedules.  We want to travel when Scott graduates this year and I am praying that my school schedule will cooperate so we can enjoy that time of celebration.  We're not 100% about where we'd go but I am really hoping Greece makes it on the list.

Missing friends, family, home.  I want to drink coffee with my dearest friends, lay on my mom's couch to talk about what's been hard lately, drink coffee with my dad at the beach, snuggle Easton while sitting on Ashley's couch, catch up with my mother-in-law and father-in-law, and just be present in the lives of the people I love in ways I'm not always able to do.  I hope they all know how desperately I love and miss them, even from these many miles away. 

Struggling through my school semester as I juggle full-time work, part-time school, and working as a TA for a nursing theory class.  Scott has been very understanding of my frazzled, overwhelmed reactions to things lately, which I am thankful for.  Coffee and snuggles from Doc have gotten me through, as has grace from Scott and his immense support.  

Playing chess with Scott as often as we are able.  We had a super fun coffee date at PCJ while we were home where we played chess for a few hours, and ever since we have been playing at home when we have down time (AKA never).  It's been kind of fun, except once I got mad because I thought I was going to lose and I knocked all the pieces off.  Woops.  I'm a sore loser!

That's basically what's been happening around here lately.  I'm procrastinating from doing some school assignments, so it was nice to catch up with you all instead.  Hope you have a beautiful rest of your weekend and that you have a great week ahead!

Love,
C. 

Comments

  1. Yes! In super inspired by your nightstand books! I must know: Commonwealth and The Nest: do you own both of these or are they from the library? May I borrow Commonwealth when you finish??

    xo, you are amazing at making your love known near and far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have them and can lend them to you when I'm finished!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts