Fall Joys

Pumpkin patch at Huber Orchard

We're doing a little something different around here today as we celebrate Fall Joys in lieu of the usual Small Joys post.  If you're keeping up with the volumes of Small Joys, we are technically on volume 26! I can hardly believe it.  It's been such a fun journey sharing these things with you all.  Let's look at the small and fall joys of this week.

No. 1: Small Joys book. I keep mentioning that there's a Small Joys book coming, and that's still very much the case.  It's just moving at slower than usual pace for a book.  The manuscript for Small Joys is sitting just shy of 100 pages at this point.  My time lately is less focused on writing and more focused on school, but I have occasional days where I take time to step away and write.  I read about some of the authors I love going on these retreats to finish their books and just dream of where I would go for mine.  I think I would go here to write in this little tree house in South Carolina on Bolt Farms, where Seth Bolt of Needtobreathe's family lives.  Check out the second photo-- I have dreams of writing with all of that natural light pouring in as I sip coffee with Doc at my feet keeping them warm.



No. 2: Whole30.  Oh man.  If you follow me on any form of social media, you'll know that Scott and I are on day 16 of Whole30 and are really enjoying this experiment in being good to our bodies with food.  I've always had somewhat of an emotional relationship with food and have, since getting married, gained 30 pounds due to "stress eating" and not caring for my body well.  So far on Whole30, we have stuck with the plan and have only cheated in minor ways by snacking (on healthy snacks-- which isn't super encouraged by the program) and weighing ourselves.  I have lost 12.5 pounds so far and can feel it in my clothes and scrubs, which is exciting.  Yesterday someone at work asked if I had lost weight and it helped me feel encouraged by this process of treating my body well.  Life after Whole30 may still involve incorporating Whole30 meals and principles, like limiting dairy, legumes, and added sugar.  We've talked about having "cheat days" while still trying to mostly maintain a Whole30 diet.  Favorite meals so far include lettuce wrap tacos, lettuce wrap burgers, salmon cakes, and Philly steak bowls.  Next month, post-Whole30, I plan to incorporate exercise into my healthy goals.  

No. 3: Small Joys on TrĂ©s Belle. One of my college friends has her own blog that featured a Small Joys post this week.  Check out Laura's beautiful blog and read about the things that she finds joy in.  She also features posts about faith, social justice, environmental sustainability, lifestyle, equality, and what it means to redefine the traditional Southern belle.  I love this blog and hope you will enjoy it, too!  I was overjoyed when she asked if she could do her own Small Joys posts on her blog and am happy to share this venture of recognizing small moments of joy in the midst of the ordinary.  

No. 4: Apple picking.  You all know by now that I love all things fall-- and apple picking goes at the very top of my fall bucket list! I have already been apple picking twice this season and hope to go again in a week or so for the end-of-season half price apples that we always scoop up from Anderson Orchard.  We love going when everyone else has picked the trees bone dry to try to find the apples that were left behind.  We make pies and all sorts of delicious things with our apples.  For Whole30, I've been making unsweetened applesauce which is SO good, and Scott has made baked apples a few times for a pseudo dessert.  I met my friend Lindsay of Bluegrass Bites down in southern Indiana to go apple picking at her favorite Orchard and can totally see why it's her favorite!

Huber's Orchard


No. 5: Georgica Pond.  This year at the Belong tour, I had the opportunity and privilege to experience a Johnnyswim concert and just fell in love with this duo.  I came home and listened to their songs on repeat, waiting anxiously for their Georgica Pond album to be released.  It's now out and I have been SUPER productive with cleaning and homework since it came out.  It's so good.  I was warned that it was intense, and I will agree with that statement.  When I listen to the song that the album is named for, I tear up and have to change to another song.  It's beautiful though, and if you aren't familiar with Johnnyswim, check them out.  My favorite song off of their album is called Villains

No. 6: Part time!  I didn't know that this day would be coming so soon, but I am officially switching to part time at work as of January 2nd.  This semester has chewed me up and spit me back out several times, and I am so thankful and nervous to switch to part time in January.  I have natural fears about money living on one part-time salary while we both finish school, but I am trying to trust God more with this and also trying to be more mindful of our spending in the mean time.  I am excited for fewer shifts at work and am hopeful for more time to focus on school, health, and our home life.  

No. 7: Apple festival.  Scott and I take an annual trip to the quaint town of Kendalville, Indiana for the Apple Festival each year, and this year was no different.  We went for a couple of days to spend time with some of our good friends and their family, and we adored Apple Festival as much as we ever have.  We stayed at our friend's lake cottage and got to take the pontoon out for a blustery day on the lake after going to Apple Festival, and as we piled into the boat and snuggled with blankets, I thought to myself, Now this is my season.  It was the quintessential "fall" experience.  



No. 8: Snuggles from Doc.  I think that when we first got Doc and I included him in a Small Joys post, I mentioned that he would pretty much always be on the list.  He's been super snuggly and sweet lately, and I think his GSP energy has been a little high due to us not being able to exercise him as much over the past few weeks.  He came with us to Kendalville a few weeks ago and got lost in the woods, which was a super stressful experience.  But now that we're home he's been adorable and funny and very interested in being all over us.  



No. 9: Pumpkin Woods.  This is a scent I just discovered this year from Bath and Body Works, and the candle is just divine.  I actually have been somewhat saving it for later in the season because it's a nice blend of fall and Christmas, and I think it will make a nice transition candle in the month of November.  It has both a fall scent to it while also having hints of pine.  I LOVE this candle and highly recommend it!

No. 10: You've Got Mail.  This obviously had to make the list!  It's the quintessential fall movie (along with When Harry Met Sally which I may also indulge in today after doing some homework!) and is just my go-to, feel-good movie.  "Don't you just love New York in the Fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies.  I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." Nora Ephron was a genius and is truly a legend.  

Hope you all have a great rest of your week and that you're able to find small moments of joy in the midst of your ordinary weeks.  Look for those small moments that take your breath away and remind you that there is a loving God who wants to spoil you with goodness.  

Love,
C. 



Comments

Popular Posts