Book Goals: March


Photo credit: Melissa Vega, the 25th Hour Studios

I'm trying something new on the blog in the spirit of reading more in 2015.  I've always been a lover of books but have lately neglected reading for other seemingly more important things.  Don't you know I'm writing this as I should be doing my last grad school application (why are they SO involved)? The to-do lists could go on for days, but in the spirit of self-care and taking back what I love, I'm making time for books.  Even if it means that I only read 2-3 pages in those sleepy moments before bed, I'm going to try to read every day.  And I thought that maybe I'd share my book goals with you all, both for the purpose of holding myself accountable and also to send along some good book recommendations.  Who knows, maybe I'll even find myself in a book club again? I so miss my book club from North Carolina and wish I could start another one up here that was just as darling as that one.

In any case, here's what's on the night stand this month.

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai


This is one of our long-distance book club reads that is currently making it's way around the country.  I haven't cracked it yet but it's supposed to be really good, and I find myself very much looking forward to reading this one! 


Scary Close by Donald Miller

This is another long-distance book club book, but we're trying to do a live book club meeting via Google Hangout later this month instead of sending this one around to everyone.  I have mixed feelings about Donald Miller, mainly because his writing style just grinds my gears.  I loved Blue Like Jazz but haven't been able to get into any of his others since, so I'm hoping I can move past his writing style and love this one.  I've heard excellent things about it.  


Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

This is one I borrowed from my mom that I have to give back to her this week in Tampa.  I'm hoping it'll make for a fun beach/pool read this week when we visit my grandpa.  I've heard awesome things about this author and have been meaning to try her books for a while now.  Hoping for good things!


The Fringe Hours by Jessica Turner 

I started this one last month but put it down to finish studying for my CMSRN exam.  I then picked up a different book and neglected this one for a while.  I'm already 1/3 of the way through this one and don't anticipate having any trouble finishing it on the plane ride to Florida on Saturday.

Have I talked about Florida enough lately?  Truthfully, I love my grandparents' house and have always loved visiting them.  It'll be sad to go back for the first time since my grandmother passed, but I think my grandpa will enjoy having a full house (though, he'll surely be glad to see us go.  He's an introvert like me, and a quiet afternoon at home doesn't bother him one little bit).  

Do you have any good book recommendations?  If you are a big reader or want to get into reading, you should surely check out Goodreads online.  I have an account on there and LOVE seeing what other people are reading and recommending, reading posts from my favorite authors, learning about their new books that are coming out.  

Also, I mentioned in my last post that my friend Mariah and I are currently working on this list for 2015.  I need to pick at least one of these to add to my March reading list, but I'm going to see how far I get with these others in Tampa first.  

And lastly, I have to recommend Dark Places by Gillian Flynn after finishing it a few days ago.  It always feels SO nice to finish a book.  I hadn't finished one in months so it felt especially rewarding to get to the last page and breathe a final "DONE!"  Dark Places was indeed dark, but Gillian Flynn keeps you on the edge of your seat for most of the book.  After a slow start, I found myself not able to put the book down after getting 75 pages in.  I wanted to read it all the time.  In the car at stoplights (I didn't, but I wanted to), during my lunch breaks at work, when I woke up each day and before bed each night (or morning, depending on my work schedule).  It's not your typical whodunnit thriller; it's so much better and so incredibly well-written.  Do check it out if you can handle a scary book.  I'm not a scary movie watcher, and truthfully, if this one became a movie, I would not be able to watch it, but it's worth a read.

Also, Shauna Niequist's new book Savor comes out in 5 DAYS and I'm hoping to venture to Chicago for her book signing next Saturday.  Can't wait to add this to the list, though this is more of a 365 day devotional book, so probably not one to read all in one sitting.  

Send more book recommendations and thoughts my way! I'm hungry for reading.

Lots of love,
C.



Comments

Popular Posts