The Poang Chair

I'm writing to you from the comfort of an Ikea Poang chair that has quite the story behind it.  Firstly, I will tell you that this chair is INSANELY comfortable.  Scott told me it would be, but from the looks of it, I just didn't see how that was possible.

The Poang chair was introduced to Scott in college while he was studying at his good friend Laurie's house.  He recently told me stories of him falling asleep while studying biology from this chair and told me that he really wanted one.  We looked it up on Ikea and found that it was over $200, which is completely out of our humble budget.  So we started keeping an eye out on Craigslist for one, and quickly found one for $30.  Steal of the century? I think so.

The adventures this chair has brought to our lives already are stories worth telling.  Yesterday we met a young couple in the Whole Foods parking lot in Carmel to exchange goods: chair for cash.  Before we left, I asked Scott if we should take my car since it has a slightly bigger back seat area, but he said that the chair would fit fine is his car.  So off we went in the podracer (his car really does sound like a Star Wars podracer right now. I tried to find a good Youtube video so that you could identify with the sound, but you'll just have to trust me when I say it's not a sound you want your car to make); we arrived at Whole Foods and within minutes the young couple showed up with the chair.  They went off to grocery shop in Whole Foods and we sat outside trying to fit the Poang chair in Scott's car.

It wasn't fitting.

I held in every "I told you so" that I wanted to blurt out and helped Scott dissemble the chair to put in the back of the car.  We didn't have any tools with us so he had to run inside to borrow some from the front desk at Whole Foods.  I was so embarrassed when the couple came back out of Whole Foods while we were STILL trying to get the chair in the car.  This has been life with my husband so far.  He is ambitious and optimistic and passionate, and I am realistic and doubting.  I'm learning to meet him in the middle with these things though; my negative comments about how we should have done this or that never change the situation, so I'm learning to keep my thoughts to myself while trying to be as helpful as I can be with problem solving.

Often I get frustrated and end up saying, "Well, if we had just done X then this wouldn't have happened," and the look I get from Scott when I say that is worth me never wanting to make a comment like that again (though, I inevitably do).

The good news is that I'm writing to you from the Poang chair right now and it's the most comfortable thing I've ever had in my home besides the Chancey couch (which basically means we now have two awesome seating options in our apartment and are waiting for them to be filled with friends and family coming over for meals and coffee and desserts).  I learned that most people use this chair in their nurseries, which is not the current plan for this one.  There are no nurseries in our very near future at all, but maybe it'll hold up for that 5 years from now?  With a new slipcover?

Photo credit: Ebay.com

Lots of love and hope you all have a great Friday! Our's started off with reblending a free Salted Caramel Frappucino from last night and now I feel ready to tackle anything today! Writing! Cooking! Cleaning! All the things! 

Love,
Cristina 

Comments

Popular Posts