On My Nightstand

I used to do posts like this every so often on my old blog, and as I was looking back through old posts on that page this morning, I realized I am long overdue for sharing about good reads.  I also realize that I write a lot of posts in list or bullet-point style; I don't know if this bothers readers or not, but I try to switch it up to give paragraph style posts as well.  Some of my favorite blogs that I follow do a mixture of writing styles and I know that I always appreciate the list-style ones for days when I need a quick read.  Conversely, sometimes I need deep material and good writing, so longer, paragraph-style posts fulfill that desire as well.  In any case, here's what I'm working on in the literature department lately.

On the nightstand

1. The Light Between Oceans, by M.L. Steadman.  This is our book club read for the month, and I actually had started this book on my Kindle months ago but never got around to finishing it.  I'm a little over halfway through this one now and have gotten to that point where I don't want to put it down.  Last night I had told myself I would finish reading a certain chapter and then clean some dishes.  Naturally, at the end of the chapter there was a plot twist that had me glued to the pages for another hour!  This is an excellent book though; for a brief plot summary, it's about a couple that live on a secluded island to operate a lighthouse, who find that they are unable to have children.  One day, a boat washes up on shore with two bodies, one is that of a dead man, and the other of a small baby, still very much alive.  The story is about the moral dilemma of the decisions the couple makes about this baby's life.  I'd highly recommend it, and though I'm not finished with it yet, I think it's going to be one of those that I love.

 2. Sacred Marriage, by Gary Thomas.  I've read this one before, but I'm reading it again in preparation for my marriage with Scott.  I feel like this is one of those books you can read over and over again, and it just never gets old.

3. The Meaning of Marriage, by Tim Keller.  In an older blog post that I had written with books on my nightstand, this one was on there.  I had written that I bought this book three times, but always found myself giving it away to other people who needed it before I did.  Before getting engaged, I used to love reading books about Christian marriage just to be well-versed on the matter.  So before we got engaged, I would give this book to friends who were about to get married; once we got engaged, I got a little selfish and kept the book for myself.  Can't wait to dig into this one, finally!

4. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain.  This is another one that I've been meaning to get to for a while, but just haven't!  As I write all of this, it makes me realize that I need to make reading a priority again.  As a little girl, I loved it to the point that I would read in my closet with the light on and door closed way after my bedtime.  I remember reading many of the Harry Potter books this way, actually.  Speaking of...

5. Harry Potter (all of them), by J.K. Rowling.  Last year my dad gave me the collector's editions of these books in a little parcel that's supposed to look like an old-fashioned trunk.  I've been meaning to read these ever since.  I usually like to read Harry Potter around the holidays, for some odd reason!

6. The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis.  These were also on my nightstand last year around this time, but things got busy with working night shift and doing Christmas shopping, so I never finished them! I completed The Magician's Nephew, the first of this series, but never made it any further.  I've got collector's editions of these, as well, sitting on my bookshelf, and am hopeful to finish these soon! They are quick reads, or quicker than most books I read now.

7. The Lone Rider, by Nicholas Sparks.  This is his newest book that I really didn't even know about until I bought it as a Christmas present for one of my family members.  It was on sale for $3.29 on the Kindle so I went ahead and purchased it and have it saved in my queue for books to read.  I'm a sappy, Nicholas Sparks-loving girl.  A lot of seasoned readers think his writing is silly, but I consider his books to be guilty pleasures.  We'll see how this one turns out.. he has yet to disappoint!

8. Holy Bible, by various authors? I'm working through letters in the New Testament as of late, while also sprinkling in some Psalms (Psalm 61 has been the go-to for the past few weeks/months.  I believe I almost have it memorized now).

9. Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference, published by Elsevier.  During funemployment, I found myself so bored that I have been brushing up on nursing knowledge and medications.  It's been kind of fun, actually, and it gives me a renewed sense of purpose in my career.

Recently finished

1. The Best of Me, by Nicholas Sparks.  I borrowed this book from sweet Jordan about a year and a half ago and have FINALLY finished it.  It's super good. Super super good.  He definitely threw in some plot twists at the end, but I started guessing what was going to happen and seemed to be figuring out his clever twists towards the end.  I love how sentimental his books are and how focused they are on bold love.  

Comments

Popular Posts