Super Bowl Eats

Most of you would probably agree that Super Bowl Sunday is filled with fried, greasy foods that are oh-so-delicious and satisfying as you cheer on your favorite team (or if your team didn't make it... cheering against the team you hate so much in the Bowl).  Well, I can't say that I ate incredibly healthy foods for the Super Bowl, but I did attempt to make slightly healthier versions of unhealthy treats.  So that must count for something, right? Well here's what Super Bowl Sunday consisted of for me.  I attempted to make my morning/afternoon somewhat healthy to prepare for the madness that would ensue for dinner/snacks that night.  I think I'll tell the food story in pictures to keep your attention.

Note: for full recipes (if you're not interested in reading all of my side notes in this post), see the "She Eats" tab at the top of the page!)

This is actually a photo that I took on Saturday,
but I ate the same breakfast yesterday. Half of a
grapefruit, one egg over medium on whole wheat
toast, coffee with hazelnut creamer & Stevia. 


This is a rando salad that was inspired by.. 
Panera and CPK. It's mixed spring greens
with sliced apples, Craisins, goat cheese, grilled
chicken (shredded), walnuts, and strawberry Balsamic
vinegar. Oh, it was good. Beyond a normal salad. 

Dessert: blueberries covered in light Yoplait vanilla
yogurt, all frozen overnight.  All the credit for this one
goes to my roommate of two years and dear friend Chancey Rouse.
She's a smart little cookie. This is a super yum dessert though!
....................................................................................................................
The line above is to separate the true healthy foods from the wannabe healthy ones. So here it goes!

A football classic- ranch dip with chips! This ranch is SLIGHTLY
healthier. I buy the Hidden Valley ranch packets (in salad dressing
aisle) and mix it with light sour cream. Note: LIGHT. Not fat-free. 
Firstly, fat free tastes awful. Secondly, it's filled with more chemicals
than it's worth. Light makes me feel a little bit better than full-fat. Little bit. 


My favorite. Lightened Buffalo Chicken Dip. 
You'll need these things, plus 1-2lbs shredded chicken.
There are two hot sauces here, just pick one. I didn't end up using the
Texas Pete one because it had 90 calories per serving and the Food Lion
brand had 5 calories per serving. No, thank you. Returning Pete tomorrow. 
Also, note that I am not a cook who sticks by strict recipes. I kind of toss
in little things here and there until it looks and tastes good, so forgive me
for not having exact portions to tell you about.  


Next, cook chicken in frying pan. I just spray a light
coat of olive oil cooking spray and that's it. Cook until no pink in center,
then toss in a large-ish bowl.  Take two forks and start shredding chicken. 
Beware of carpal tunnel while doing so. I could barely use my hands after this 
step.  

Add in about 1/2 cup of hot sauce/wing sauce,
6 oz plain Greek yogurt (one personal sized one
will work. I just have the large container because I use it
a lot for cooking. If you have a large container, about two to three large
spoonfuls of Greek yogurt will do), and 2-3 tablespoons of ranch dip
mix. Mix it all up with a spoon or fork!


Place mix into an 8x8 pan baking dish (or size of your choice).
Make sure to spread it out so it covers the dish. Sprinkle Colby
Jack cheese on top (just enough to cover the chicken, unless you want
some clogged arteries in your future. In that case, pile on the cheese!), and
add a little sprinkle of hot sauce on top of that.  I literally just put little dots of it
here and there, so don't use a lot in this step! Bake for 20 minutes on 350 in the oven and you're Super Bowl ready! Serve with multigrain tortilla chips or chips of
your choice

Also, these were just two of the dishes at the Super Bowl party I attended.  It was pot luck so I contributed these items, and other friends brought veggie trays, salad, queso, barbecue wings, cupcakes, mushrooms stuffed with bacon/cream cheese/garlic, pigs in a blanket, etc. 

....................................................................................................................

And since I didn't exercise yesterday, or the day before, it's time for me to hit the gym for Body Pump with my fellow body builders. More to come on this later, but imagine me in my pink gym shoes lifting weights in the midst of men wearing intense weight-lifting gloves (true story: I now own a pair because of all the calluses I was getting. But they're gray and pink) and bandanas on their heads as they lift. I'd provide photos if it were allowed, but for now you'll just have to go with your imagination!

Grace & peace,
Cristina

Comments

  1. Buffalo Chicken Dip looks amazing!! I will have to try- Way to stay healthy on that day :) Wish I had.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts