Small Joys

Those of you who followed my Grace and Peace blog may remember my post on small joys a few months ago (and if not, or if you didn't follow that blog, here's the link: Apologies & Small Joys).  I thought it was time to reflect on some of the small joys that have been saving my life the past few weeks. Some of the joys are smaller than others, but all are still joys I hold in my heart.

No. 1: Hazelnut Coffee. Hazelnut coffee is a favorite of mine, and something that, for some reason, I don't often have on hand.  Thankfully, Food Lion was having an awesome sale this past week which allowed me to partake in my hazelnut obsession.  Hazelnut coffee also makes me think of one of my oldest and truest friends, Bananz (real name: Hannah).  She's a hazelnut coffee lover as well and drinking it often reminds me of her sweet spirit. 

No. 2: Country music.  We had a few flickers of warm weather in the midst of our blustery winter, and warm weather always makes me want country music.  It's so simple and makes life seem so sweet.  Several of my friends recently purchased the Country Megaticket for Raleigh this year.. which includes 9 different concerts! I'm super super considering.  Super. 

No. 3: Country BOYS.  Ok, maybe just ONE country boy.  But mine will be home one month from today, and I am beyond excited.  It's been almost 4 months since I saw Scott and I have been missing him like crazy lately.  With his crazy semester this spring and my wild work schedule, we're lucky to find a chance to talk a few times a week.  I've taken off vacation for a whole week in March, will be picking him up from RDU's airport and transporting him to Wilmington, and am just so excited for see that boy.  I've missed him more than I could ever explain, especially in the midst of engagements/weddings galore down here in NC.  

No. 4: Chicken minis. Sometimes, you just need a good chicken mini. Hopefully, that craving doesn't hit you on a Sunday when Chick-fil-a is taking their restful Sabbath... but any other day, live a little a have a chicken mini. 

No. 5: Carolina football.  Always, always a fan of Carolina football, but this week that took on a new meaning.  My younger brother is going to play as a walk-on QB for Carolina this coming fall.  He officially enrolled yesterday and will be setting off to my alma mater in the fall.  Could not be more excited for this kid.  He deserves the best college experience. 

No. 6: Chapstick.  There's not a whole lot to say about this. Except that it's life-saving in the winter cold and during long night shifts.  I always carry some around in my pocket or purse.  

No. 7: Cozy blankets.  I'm always cold. Always.  At home, you'll find me snuggling in an oversized sweatshirt or wrapped up in several blankets while reading a book.  I sleep with 3 extra blankets when I sleep post-night shift, and two of the blankets are ones I have sworn to hold onto for all of eternity.  They are super soft and snuggly, and I found them in TJ Maxx several years ago. Love a good deal on cozy things.  

Exhibit A: leopard print blanket. 


No. 8: Jesus Christ.  Not such a small joy.  A big one.  But He's been watching out for me this week when I've felt discouraged beyond words.  My commute to work lately, which I do solo, has involved me praying for strength and endurance to make it through my shift and to be a safe nurse for me patients.  It's been a rough week on my floor but each shift brings new hope.  You just never know what you'll find in your assignment for the day.  Thankfully Jesus brings life and hope to each day and is faithful in His promises.  

No. 9: Creative Writing.  Ok, maybe it's not so creative.  But I was looking at my list and realized everything on my list has a "C" in it, so I had to give "writing" a "C" adjective.  Obviously.   But I am writing a book and am quite enjoying the process, even if it leads to a manuscript that sits on my coffee table one day for only myself.  It's such a fun self-discovery process.  

Those are this week's small joys, friends.  Apologies for not being super consistent with posting this week! I worked Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday nights, and two of those three were TERRIBLY TERRIBLE.  I usually leave before 8, and twice I left at 9 or close to 9.  So blogging was far from my mind as I longed for hours wrapped up in my blankets sleeping.  I'm hoping to do a "small joys" post each week, maybe similar to "Friday Favorites" that some people do.  But  small joys are much more my jam.  

Love to you all!
C.

Comments

Popular Posts