Morning Pages



One of the authors I love produced a small e-book a few years ago that discussed Julia Cameron's idea of morning pages.  I don't hold true to the real practice of morning pages, but I do enjoy my own little practice of them.  Morning pages is the idea that you wake up early every morning and write, in a stream-of-conscious way, the first 2-3 pages of thoughts you have.  I've been up since 6AM today (praise Jesus-- the past few days I've woken up at 3-4AM--see below on this), so these aren't my first thoughts.  But as I sat down to do homework I felt incredibly antsy and like I needed to write first, so here are my little quips of life lately.

..
Today is the first day since my wisdom teeth extraction last week when I feel 98% normal.  I thought I was doing pretty well over the weekend but couldn't really eat much.  The past three days I had been having terrible pain that radiated to my ear and head, and I feared that I was developing dry socket.  I tried to "tough it out" but gave in and went to Scott's office yesterday to be seen.  Turns out I was brewing an infection in one of my sockets.  As soon as he cleaned it out, I felt immense relief from the pain.  I'm now irrigating the site with a medicated solution and taking antibiotics for the next few days.  I had been waking up at 3-4AM from pain but was able to "sleep in" until 6 today! Hooray!
..
I have approximately 1 week left of class for the summer and am looking forward to a two week break from school before things get really crazy for the fall.  Looking at my fall schedule gives me palpitations, and I won't even start stressing about spring yet, but I've heard spring is worse.  But at the end of it all, we will be Greece-bound to de-stress and check out a new part of the world we haven't seen. Can not wait.
..
Doc is being super anxious today because he was by himself a lot yesterday and hasn't been on a hike in a while (due to previously discussed dental pain).  I'm planning on walking or hiking with him at some point today but in meantime and playing this video for him, which keeps him entertained.
..
I rode into work with Scott yesterday (~45 minutes from our house) and spent the day at his office after I got evaluated.  I just love his practice and the people there, and I super love the other dentist's wife/office manager.  It is just such a wonderful blessing that he found a great place to work as a dentist. It's also the most fun thing to see the man I've loved since I was 16 doing something he LOVES.  I remember when we met, he actually didn't want a girlfriend because he wanted to focus on getting into dental school.  Fast forward 11 years and he's a real-live dentist and thankfully decided to take me along for the ride.  What a joy it is to see him doing so well and chasing those dreams.
..
I've been working to lay aside some feelings I have about some missed opportunities for the coming year and am instead trying to focus my efforts on other opportunities ahead. It's tough though, and I'm all kinds of jealous and ugly about certain situations.  I'm working to surrender this, but that's easier said than done sometimes.  Hence, my social media fast.  I wasn't handling anything well while I was pressed against the computer screen looking at what everyone else had going on in their lives.
..
I miss reading.  I fear that for the next year, my reading will mostly be academic.  I'm so determined to do my best this year and don't think I will have much down time for reading unless it's over holiday breaks, but send your best reading suggestions this way for when I finally find time to read again.
..
I am anxiously awaiting my favorite season but fear that it will be busier than usual this year.  My one fall joy that I'm looking forward to completely enjoying sans schoolwork is the Kendallville Apple Festival that we attend every year in northern Indiana.  I was scheduled to work that weekend and thankfully found someone to trade weekends with me, so it's something I am SUPER looking forward to.  We also committed a while ago to spending two weekend down in Columbus where Scott works to do some things down there/get to know the town better, so I'm looking forward to that as well.  Columbus is very close to Brown County, and Brown County is my FAVE state park in the fall.  So gorgeous.  It's the essence of fall.
..

That's all for now, friends.  Thanks for letting me get my antsy writer's energy out in these pseudo-morning pages.  Doc is crying and I must go turn on the "bird videos for cats" for him so I can get some schoolwork done.

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

xo,
C

Comments

Popular Posts