Small Joys: volume 19

I'm supposed to be studying for my CMSRN exam right now (it's Tuesday, yikes!) but am instead writing because that's my therapy when I'm stressed.  Speaking of stress, my hair has almost gone all gray and there are little blemishes popping up all over my face this week.  I keep snapping at Scott during conversations this week that normally wouldn't  bother me.  It's all in the name of stress and I am so so happy that in 3 days I'll be done with this exam (hopefully forever).

No. 1: The Fringe Hours.  I have been seeing this book all over social media lately, especially via Shauna Niequist, and I have been very much wanting to read this.  I'm not into self-help books generally, but between working night shift, applying to grad school, and trying to juggle my new responsibilities as a wife, I feel tired all the time.  I feel like I never have time for myself, whether it's working out or reading a book for fun or writing or just going to get a hair cut (hence my attempt at cutting my own last week).  This book supposedly talks about how to use the little time that you already have in your day in the most efficient way, and how to do things for yourself during those moments.  Yesterday, while studying at Barnes and Noble, I searched the store twice over to find this book.  I found one of two copies they had left and breezed through the first few pages to make sure it wasn't too self-helpy.  It's not.  It's so honest and life-giving.  Tuesday, you can't get here soon enough.  I may even start reading it before then if I decide that I'm totally over studying.



No. 2: Bluegrass Bites.  One of my dearest friends and former roommates has started her own food blog after thinking about it for quite some time.  I'm so excited for her, she always pins awesome things on Pinterest and I know she makes a lot of the meals, so I am so incredibly excited that she's decided to start a food blog.  You should definitely check out some of her recipes-- she's only just begun but I already purchased all of the ingredients for her BBQ Chicken Chili to make for dinner this week!  Check it out here

No. 3: She Reads Truth's Lent study.  Besides the fact that they always have super beautiful study packs, I love the She Reads Truth community because of its ability to keep me reading Scripture and focusing on the important things in life.  It keeps me grounded when I'm feeling lonely, uncertain, fearful, or confused.  I'm reminded that there is purpose in whatever I am going through and that the greater picture isn't just about me, but a greater story.

Lattes and Lent


No. 4: Apples and chocolate.  I've recently started on a journey to get in shape again (I didn't start in January when the rest of America did.  I needed a little more time to figure things out for myself), and my go-to dessert lately when I'm craving brownies or pie or cupcakes has been apples dipped in melted dark chocolate.  It takes care of my desire for sweetness and chocolate without adding too much to the waistline.



No. 5: Pretty stationery.  A side note before we begin: paper is stationery; the act of standing still is stationary.  This is important.  I'm obsessed with all things Kate Spade yet own not a single item of her's due to price.  I can't handle paying so much for pretty things, love them as I may.  Target has started carrying two lines that remind me very much of Kate Spade without breaking the bank.  Sugar Paper and Mara-Mi are two lines that have beautiful journals, cards, planners, etc.  I saw that one of my friends from work had the Sugar Paper planner and instantly wanted it, so with her permission I copied her and went out to purchase it this week.  The notebook from Mara-Mi was one I'd had for a while but never really used.  The two together are just darling.  

Planner: Sugar paper.  Notebook: Mara-Mi


No. 6: A new blog home.  You heard it here first: Grace Like Rain will be moving soon to it's very own webpage, and it will no longer be under the same name! I've been playing around with this idea for a while, and my husband recently looked into pricing and domain names for my blog so that it wouldn't be associated with Blogspot any longer.  I have loved Blogspot and it's been great for me as I've started off my writing career, but I'm looking for something a little more professional.  With my book in the works, I want my own space for my writing on the internet.  Other than my AP Computer Science class (where I used to speak of ripping out my eyeballs and throwing them at my teacher), I have little knowledge of building a website and will likely be working on this for a few months before the new blog is ready for use.  But I am excited about this project and hope to work on it more once my CMSRN exam is over and once I finish up my last grad school application!  Stay tuned, you'll be the first to know when the new site is coming.  

No. 7: Space heaters.  Scott and I recently purchased a space heater as our older apartment in the city isn't very well insulated.  Not only has our electric bill gone down significantly, but I've enjoyed the constant warmth and coziness that comes with having the space heater nearby as I read, write, and study.  If you live in an area where it's super cold in the winter, I'd highly recommend one.  Our's was no more than $40 and has been very well worth the money.  

No. 8: Crockpot meatballs. This was maybe the most successful week I've ever had with meal planning.  I can't say the things I cooked were overly healthy, but we did have good comfort food to last us the entire week.  There were crockpot meatballs (a new favorite in our house),  hamburgers (cooked with BBQ sauce, a dash of soy sauce, Montreal steak seasoning, and parsley), and my mom's chicken tetrazzini.  

Amazing meatballs and sauce in my mini-crockpot


No. 9: DIY haircuts.  I love going to the salon to get my hair done, but lately I've been finding very little time to do this (hence my reading of The Fringe Hours listed above).  On Valentine's Day, I took scissors to my hair and started cutting little pieces off until it looked the way I wanted it.  I shaped it, gave myself some angles and bangs, and had Scott work on the back of my head so that it was all even back there.  I don't think I'll be DIY-ing my haircuts often, but this one has been very lovely for the time being and has definitely saved me from horrendous split ends and mangey-looking locks.  



No. 10: Shauna Niequist's book signing! Oh man.  I am SO excited about this.  I'm still looking for someone to roadtrip to Wheaton, IL with me next month (March 14th) for this.  Wheaton is outside of Chicago and the book reading/signing makes promises of tea and bundt cakes, which I am very excited for.  I've already decided that I'll make the trip even if I have to go solo, but if you're looking to get out of town for the day and to meet an incredible author and person, I'd be happy to have the company!  Her book Savor is released that day and promises to be as good, if not better, than her others (Cold Tangerines, Bread and Wine, Bittersweet).



Hope you all have the most beautiful weekend and week ahead!  Please keep me in your prayers as I take my CMSRN exam on Tuesday.  Everyone says I'm over-preparing, but I've never known any other way to do things in my life.  

Lots of love!
C



Comments

Popular Posts