Endurance.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross despising shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

Don't you love the hope that comes with the start of a new year? Or do you find it all to be very superficial and overdone? I fall into the former category, one of those who fills with hope and the promise of a fresh start.  I used to make New Year's Resolutions until I finally came to terms with the fact that I only stick to them for about 2 weeks before caving and going back to my old ways.  For the past few years, I have instead picked a word to focus on for that year, modeled after something my home church encourages (My One Word).

Last year, my word was present.  I spent the year trying to ground myself and keep myself reeled into what was going on around me instead of always living in the past or constantly anticipating the future.  It was something I had to be intentional about, and I would often catch myself veering away from the present.  But that's part of the whole purpose of picking a word.  You have to refocus your mind and pull yourself back into what that word means to you.

I'm almost a little bit sad to part with present for a new word, but I do think it's time for a new practice and a new focus.  This year, I'll be focusing on endurance.  Our little family has been facing some deeply personal struggles over the past few months, and I know that there are more ahead of us.  I'm focusing on enduring this year, in all aspects of my life.  Physically, I want to begin running again and I want to know that my body can endure the long hours of training that I used to do when I lived in North Carolina.  I want to know that I can run 10 miles without stopping and that afterwards, I can sit down and feel like my morning was well-spent running through beautiful place, talking to Jesus all the while as I run.  Mentally and emotionally, I want to trust that whatever may come, my hope and faith lie in something other worldly that helps me to endure my circumstances.

I'll be praying over Hebrews 12 this year and ask you to join me.  Despite all that is going on around us, I am still hopeful for 2015.  I think by year's end, we will have learned more than I can even imagine in this moment.

If you're a New Year Resolution maker, I hope your's go well this year and that you find ways to stick with them. I hope that come June, you are still practicing them and working towards your goals in earnestness.  And if you are not a resolution maker, I still hope the year holds good things for you and that you find so much joy and peace.

Lots of love and blessing to you, friends.  And I hope you will run the race of endurance with me this year.

Love,
Cristina.

Comments

Popular Posts