On My Nightstand



This used to be one of my favorite posts to write on my old Grace and Peace blog, and I feel like it's been a while since I've shared one of these on here.  I've kind of kept you updated with reading progress in my posts about goals, but here's a little something extra to munch on.  Truth be told, many of these aren't on my nightstand per se, as they are online reads, but I still find them to be highly significant.  As you may already know, I am writing a book.  I declared yesterday my official first day of writing the book (even though I have had some haphazard pages of it written for a while) and now have a header on each page, a title page, a chapter outline, and the beginning of the first chapter.

I've already learned something interesting about writing.  My first chapter was titled Altar Run, and I knew exactly what it was going to be about.  But as I started writing, I realized that this chapter wasn't about an altar run at all (if you're confused by the term "altar run," you'll soon learn what it means).  This chapter was about my favorite place on the planet to run: Gimghoul Lane.  Altar Run would have to be moved to a later chapter, and this one could not possibly tread under the waters of that name; hence, chapter one is now called Gimghoul Lane.  Writing is such a transforming process, and so far, I'm loving the blank page.  A lot of my reading lately has been research for my book, and I've read many things about writers feeling anxiety about the blank page before them.  One day, I anticipate facing this challenge; for now, I will enjoy the sense of wonder and anticipation that I feel when working with the blank page.

I'm digressing, aren't I? This post was supposed to be about what I'm reading lately, not what I'm writing.  Here's what's on my nightstand these days.

1. Radical by David Platt.  Are you tired of hearing me talk about this one? I'm a little tired of reading it.  I had high hopes for this book when I started it, but I think that the fact that I've dragged it out for so long has made me uninterested in it, which is no fault of David Platt's.  Truthfully, this book challenges me in many ways and makes me rethink how I approach Christianity and sharing the gospel with others.  I want to continue with this book but need to renew my perspective on it.  Just because I've been reading it since May doesn't mean I should be bored with it, right?  I do think it's worth checking out, but just know that you'll want some time to process each chapter and really chew on what David Platt is saying.

2. Writing to Find Yourself by Allison Vesterfelt.  This is an e-book that I shared a link for a few days ago, and I have found it to be SO good for writing. So good.  I subsribed to Allison's writer's list while reading this book and received an e-mail last night that was so encouraging for my writing process, and it was entitled "Stop Waiting for Someone to Tell You that You're a Writer."  Here's a few lines from the e-mail that I loved and totally identified with:
Writing is incredibly healing. It is beautifully calming. It can help us find our way home.
So these days, when I sit down to write, I don’t wonder to myself who is going to publish my writing or who is going to read it or if it’s going to make me a bunch of money. I remind myself how writing is the only thing that has ever made me feel like myself.
All to say, her book is as lovely as her e-mails.  If you need some creative inspiration, if you love writing, think you want to write, etc., check her book out! It's free (how is this even possible?).

3. Shauna Niequist's blog.  I said her name again, sorry (but not really).  I am particularly loving this post called On Editing, Heavy Lifting, and Great Writing.  But I love all of her blog posts.  Because our writing styles are so similar, I've been reading a lot of what she writes as far as books and blog posts.  Which leads me to another book on my nightstand, which is actually one I am reading for the second time around.

4. Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist.  So good.  Great recipes (I love her Green Well salad in here.  It makes me feel so fancy yet healthy).  Great writing.  Great research.  If you like food writing, you'll adore this one.  It's about cultivating relationships through life around the table, inviting people into your home and caring for them with a meal, whether it's take-out, pizza, or a homemade casserole.
5. Moment Maker by Carlos Whittaker.  I've loved Carlos Whittaker's writing for a long time; he has a blog called Ragamuffin Soul which is quite lovely.  I first became interested in reading it when he began telling his family's story of international adoption, as this is something Scott and I are very interested in.  I was so excited when I learned that he was writing a book, and even more excited when I learned that it was $0.99 on my Kindle last week.  It's about making each moment meaningful, which I kind of identify in a "small joys" kind of way-- making the most of each moment and finding joy therein.

Those are the books/blogs I am currently reading.  And these are some I hope to be reading soon.

1. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. I was gifted this a few Christmases ago by my roommate in the Little House, Amy Gwynn.  I always meant to read it but have yet to crack it open. After reading Blue Like Jazz, I'm certain that I will love this one, but just need to get started.  We're doing a little remodel of our apartment space where our bookcase used to be, so I've got this one in a box right now until we reassemble the bookcase.  Hopefully this can be a nice fall read, though.

2. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voscamp.  I've wanted to read this book for a while as well and just need to go ahead and do it.  I'm thinking it might become one of our Sisterhood of the Traveling Bookclub reads as it was mentioned recently by Shannon via text, so I'm hoping this to be true.  If not, I might declare it one myself!

3.  Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple.  I have been told that this is similar to Gone Girl, which I adored, so I am hoping to check this one out sooner rather than later.  Might also have to make this a book club read since Gone Girl was one of our first books we read.  I'll have to head to Half Price Books to see if they've got this one in stock! (sidenote: Half Price Books is one of my favorite stores up here.  It's a lovely store for recycled books that are extremely inexpensive.  I feel badly because it doesn't support the authors who write the books, but for a lady living on a tight budget, this has been a good place to feed my book-hungry self).

4.  If I Stay by Gayle Forman.  I don't like reading a book just because it is being made into a movie, but I also refuse to see a movie until I have read the book version of it (the books are ALWAYS better with one exception: The Notebook.  Loved the book, but loved the movie infinitely more.  Good job, Hollywood).  Several girls at work have recommended this one to me (sorry for all the sidenotes, but I must say that I love working with people who love reading! They always have great book recommendations) so I think I will check it out.

5.  Frances and Bernard by Carlene Bauer.  This one is inspired by the lives of Flannery O'Connor and Robert Lowell and was long ago recommended by my favorite blogger, Annie B. Jones. I'm pretty sure it's been on my to-read list for far too long, and this year is all about taking back reading and moving through this list.

There's also a few series I want to check out at the recommendation of friends, including the Outlander series, The Mortal Instruments, and a really sappy series that I'm almost embarrassed to tell you about, Nora Roberts' Bridal Quaret.  I bought the last series from Half Price Books while engaged and thought it would be fun to read before getting married, but who has time for that when you're planning a wedding? I'm finding that all of the books I thought I HAD to read before getting married can be read quite enjoyably as a married woman as well.  Who knew? More proof that we idealize weddings too much in our society, but I won't go off on that rant today.

One more small list of recently read books, in case you haven't seen my updates on them.

1. The One and Only by Emily Giffin.  Total chick lit.  But I can never put her's down.
2. Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist.  I consider this a must-read, as I consider all of Shauna's books.  Check her out and tell me what you think.  Love her as much as I do? I'm pretty sure you will.
3. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.  Takes place in Italy.  Near Cinque Terre. Beautiful writing, beautiful story.

What are you reading these days? Blogs, websites, articles, books, magazines? I'm interested.  Got an all-time favorite book that you think I'd like? Please share! I'm hungry for more books.

Lots of love to you all on this Thursday!

Cristina

Comments

  1. 1. Frances and Bernard - this is such a good book. Pick it up now. It's well-written and thoughtful and so interesting. One of my favorites I've read this year.

    2. Where'd You Go Bernadette is also very good. But I'd actually say it's pretty different from Gone Girl. It's quite funny (laugh-out-loud type funny) and is more a social commentary on the hectic life of living in wealthy society.

    3. We should make One Thousand Gifts a book club book. I haven't purchased it ... but maybe Susan/Claire/Jordan/Brooke want to??

    PS: Writing to Find Yourself really does sound like a Cristina-type-book. Good job, Shauna ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I will pick up Frances and Bernard SOON then!

      2.Good to know about Where'd You Go Bernadette. A friend who hadn't read Gone Girl told me they were supposed to be similar, but I'm glad to know they are a little different (Gone Girl = good but depressing?).

      3. I agree about One Thousand gifts!

      Andddd yes that book is SO Cristina. I should be finished with it by now as it's only 100 pages but I keep re-reading parts that I just love. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts