Monthaversary

This word makes me giggle just a little bit.  Back when Scott and I first started dating, we would celebrate each month of being together.  Almost 8 years later, it's a little hard to keep up that tradition, though I find myself celebrating little moments like that in other areas of my life, too.  Today marks a one monthaversary in Indianapolis.  I can hardly believe that I have been here for a month already.  In some ways, I feel like we just pulled up to the back of my building in a moving truck yesterday, yet in others, I feel like I've been here for a lifetime.

Indianapolis has been good to me so far.  I've learned to drive in snow/ice already, was blessed with a job, can get to all the malls and at least two groceries stores without a GPS, and have found a place to be in fellowship with other believers.  I still mourn things about leaving NC; I miss having friends to call up at a moment's notice for a girls' night or for a quick coffee date.  I miss running (my area isn't the safest to run in, plus the sidewalks are currently covered in ice around here), Bski's, having a puppy in the house, living a quick day trip from my family.  But I'm learning what it is to find ways to love those things from afar, and I'm trying hard to not focus on those things so much that I miss out on new opportunities and friendships here.

The sweetest thing about my month here has been the end of an era in the dating world- our long distance plight.  For years, the end of the long distance aspect of our relationship was hypothetical... a "maybe someday" kind of thing.  Once engaged, it became a more definite thing, and we counted down the months.  I remember getting a text from Scott once that said "three months until I can hang out in coffee shops with you on weekends."  Today, for the first time since I moved here, we actually hung out in a coffee shop together.  Maybe it wasn't the "ideal" coffee date-- he was buried in powerpoints for finals and I was racing through my book for book club (FINALLY finished The Light Between Oceans-- more to come on this later), but it was something that we wouldn't have been able to do a few months ago on a regular basis.  Seeing Scott used to be a special occasion, something I would count down to, dress up for, paint my nails for, etc.  Now it's a normal part of my life.

So, on my monthaversary, I'm thankful for all of the good things that have come with this transition.  I'm missing North Carolina, my friends, family, and church very much, but I'm learning how to love from a distance.  Just like I learned how to love Scott with 650 miles of pavement between us, I'm now reversing these roles a bit and learning to love him from right down the street and all aspects of my NC life from a distance.

Tomorrow I'll start my new job, and I am very excited and nervous about it.  I'm excited that it's 10 minutes from my apartment and does not require a 15-20 minute bus ride to and from work each day;  I'm excited that it's a smaller facility with great opportunity for learning.  I am nervous because the people that will work beside me each day aren't the faces I've known and loved for so long on 3 West; yet, I'm hopeful that they'll be just as friendly and just as professional.

So Indy, happy one monthaversary to us today.  Sorry that I didn't arrange a fancy dinner or date night to celebrate with you, but know that I am loving you and am appreciative of your kindness to me so far.  And I'm excited for what adventures lie ahead with you and my soon-to-be husband.  Be good to us as we start our life together here.


And to celebrate the 1 month anniversary here--
A giant air mattress for all of my friends and family to
stay on when they visit :) 

Grace & peace, sweet friends. 
Cristina 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts