Small Joys (volume 4) Warning: Lots of Wedding Talk. Be Warned.

Hello beautiful friends! Sorry for the delay in sharing joy with you the past few weeks.  It's just been one crazy thing after another, between night shifts (and random day shifts sprinkled in there?), beginning the wedding planning/marriage preparation process, and trying to get some spring cleaning done, it's been wild around here! Regardless, there's a lot to be thankful for a lot of joy to share.  If you missed my post on our proposal (probably the greatest joyful news I've had to share... ever!), catch it here.  And now, for the joy.

No. 1: Getting engaged to my very favorite person and beginning the wedding planning process. Sorry to those of you who are sick of hearing about it.  I used to struggle with all of the weddings and engagements going on around me, so I can really understand where you're coming from.  I was once there (perhaps as recently as 3 weeks ago, actually).  But I'm having trouble holding this one in, so I have to share.  Wedding planning is exactly as stressful as everyone says it is.  Despite my smalltown Southern wedding aspirations to keep things low budget, everything has blown up and become giant.  My budget has gone awry after getting several quotes from different vendors, my guest list has grown by 25% and is still growing, and extravagance is overpowering the simplicity I once desired.  I'm working hard to make sure that this day is more about the covenant we are entering into and not what people are going to think about flower arrangements or font on my invitations, but the world we live in has taken weddings and made them this giant commercial thing that barely reflects any sort of life covenant between a man, woman, and God. So this one goes down as a joy, but also something I'm in constant prayer about.

No. 2: Cooking.  This may seem like a chore or something annoying to some, but I quite enjoy cooking and have really enjoyed being able to do so lately.  During the beginning of engaged life, I felt like I was eating out all the time with family & friends, and I had never craved a salad so much in my life!  I've been enjoying cooking at home and trying out new recipes (some found online, others thought up with what's in my refrigerator).

No. 3: Warm weather.  We've had some teasers of spring here and there-- though it's technically spring now, North Carolina hasn't been informed.  I have faith that it's coming soon and I'm anxious for cookouts, long runs outside, fruit salads, and homemade sangria.  Come on, NC spring!

No. 4: Crafting.  I have fallen a bit behind on crafting lately, but with our wedding now a year away, I'm starting on all the DIY projects I want to do to save money for our wedding (and add a little personal touch to it :)).  I just ordered 6 cases of mason jars to begin on some of the crafts.  I am so excited for this!

No. 5: My future in-laws.  I can't even tell you how blessed I am to have such wonderful family, and NOW I am even more spoiled to have the opportunity to add even more wonderful people to that family.  I love my future mother and father-in-law and am so thankful for their love and support.  Also, Scott's sister, Ashley, is my soon to be sister-in-law and I am so excited to announce that she is newly ENGAGED and will be marrying Chris Banker.  So now I'm even MORE spoiled because I'm getting a new brother-in-law, too.  I can't wait for their wedding, marriage, and future together.  It's so fun to be able to walk beside them in this process of wedding planning and marriage preparation.

No. 6: Duck Dynasty.  Ya'll.  Say what you want about me. Say what you want about the South.  But I am in love with this show and these people.  Yes, they are redneck.  Yes, they do absurd things.  But they are hilarious and good southern people.  They drink sweet tea out of mason jars and share family dinners once a week with their extended family.  I do love the South.

No. 7: The Resurrection.  It's no small joy, friends.  I am forgiven because Jesus died, and I have new life because He rose from the dead.  I had to work nights all weekend for Easter, but I didn't forget the meaning behind the holiday despite my inability to celebrate it in church.  I read about Jesus in Matthew on Easter as my worship before going into work.  I'm also typing this as I watch The Bible on the History Channel and can't begin to count how many times I've cried so far.  It's the episode that includes Jesus' life, crucifixion, and resurrection, and His sacrifice and mighty power move me in inexplicable ways.  I'm reminded of the simple call to follow Jesus and to love like He loves.  I think I make my faith so complicated sometimes by getting caught up in religion and different to-do lists with God.  But the simple truth is that He lived, He died for us, and He rose from the dead.  He walked this Earth as God in flesh and lived a selfless life.  On that note, here's a video if you want a simple but truthful explanation of the Gospel.  I had seen this a while ago but a friend from work told me this weekend that it was this clip that actually brought her to believe in Jesus and God, and my heart was filled with joy for her.  I won't mention her name to avoid embarrassing her, but I can't help but be joyous when I get the chance to welcome someone else into God's kingdom.  It's another face I'll be excited to see in heaven one day.  In any case, here's Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty on his testimony.


No. 8: The South.  Ok, my wedding is going to be a southern wedding.  A true, down home country, southern wedding.  Not a redneck wedding. But classy and southern.  I've also realized how much I value sweet tea, southern accents, North Carolina, country music, southern cooking, etc.  The South is a good place to be.  I'm a happy girl here and will always have a special place in my heart for it even when I have to move out to the Midwest for a bit.

No. 9: Puppies.  There are so many puppies in my life right now and I'm loving it.  My roommate just brought home an adorable golden doodle, Penny, and my mom just adopted Gracie Lou, a golden retriever.  I've never had puppies before so I'm loving the energy, learning what all is involved in their upbringing, and enjoying every moment of snuggling I can get.  I can't wait to meet Gracie Lou when I go home next week but I know she's going to be a snuggly mess.

No. 10: Coffee.  This might as well be on the list every week.  I've had a bizarre work schedule this week and as a result, have been drinking coffee like it's my life blood.  I want some now but considering it's 2AM, I'm thinking it'd be more beneficial for me to sleep tonight.

Ok, and to end this, I have to just share the verse they just quoted on The Bible.  Ya'll, I'm not joking.  I'm a tearful mess watching this show and remembering how blessed I am and how loved I am by a great God who rules over everything past, present, and future.  Why He chooses to love me, I'll never know.  But I'm so glad He did and I'm so glad He doesn't give up on me.

"'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,' says the Lord, 'who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." -Revelation 1:8

Oh my.  God is incredible. Love to you all and I hope you are finding April to be a particularly good month.  Grace & peace.
-C

Comments

Popular Posts