Small Joys (volume 3)

Oh, my friends.  Small Joys are coming to you a bit late this week.  If you read my previous post, you'll see why.  It's been a bit of a week for me.  But as with last week, even in the midst of immense chaos and uncertainty, joy can be found.  So here we are for this week's joys.

No. 1: Southern Weddings magazine.  I JUST discovered this magazine in Barnes and Noble this week and am IN LOVE. No, I'm not planning a wedding.  But yes, I can still enjoy wedding-related things and magazines.  It was so fun to read and was just such a light and happy magazine.  Sometimes I need light and happy things.

No. 2: Public safety.  Never have I been more thankful for public law enforcement, particularly police officers.  You may get irritated with them for a speeding ticket they write you, but in moments of vulnerability and uncertainty, they are saints.

No. 3: Psalms.  Alright, I know they were included in last week's post, but this week was another week when I really needed and cherished them.  Check out Psalms 55 if you're having one of "those" weeks. Reading it last night after a tumultuous week was true rest for my soul.

No. 4: Josh Garrels. I went to his concert this week with sweet Rachel Cooley and quite enjoyed the evening.  It was a completely unexpected and beautiful evening (considering it was a weeknight).  Rachel made scrambled eggs with rosemary and goat cheese (one of the most delicious meals I've EVER eaten, don't know why I've never thought of this) and broiled grapefruit before we headed to Garner for the concert.  The concert was lovely and beautiful.  More rest for my soul and more encouragement in turning to Jesus.  (Also, check out his song "Ulysses" if you havent heard it before. It's my fave. Right up there with "Father Along")



No. 5: Family.  My family, my roommate's family, Scott's family.  All of these families have been good to me this week and have reached out to throw a lifeline to me.  I've been blessed and surrounded by loving families and am so thankful for all of them.

No. 6: New air fresheners. Look, sometimes one joy is smaller than the other.  But air fresheners cannot go unrecognized.  I love how my mood changes when I change out my air freshener.  Don't laugh. Just be ok with it.

No. 7: 7 miles.  I didn't intentionally make this number 7, but it just came to mind when I typed the number "7" into my computer.  I ran 7 miles this week for half marathon training, and though I did not fit in any other runs this week, I'm thankful that I was able to make it to 7 in a decent amount of time.

No. 8: Preceptors.  My preceptor from when I first started my job visited our floor this week (she's now an assistant nurse manager on another floor) and it was so refreshing to talk with her about work.  She offered fresh perspective and insight on nursing and all that it entails.  It was so good to talk to her, though it was brief, just to re-energize me for the remainder of my shift and put me in a good place for the rest of the week with work.

No. 9: Reunions with old friends.  So I technically had two this week.  The one I mentioned earlier, with Rachel, and then with my roommate from high school, Lindsay.  Lindsay and I had a day of failed adventures, but through it all, we still had a good time and were able to catch up with one another.  She's in Kentucky now and it has actually been about 8 months since I've seen her, so it was so great to catch up.  Her wedding is coming up in October and I'm getting super stoked for it!

No. 10: God's grace.  I feel very blessed for safety and security this week, and I know it's by His grace that I am here typing to you right now.  I've never been more thankful for so many things.  God has been so gracious and merciful this week (and is all the time, but I'm more attentive to it this week).  All glory goes to Him for my safety.

I hope you found some joy in your week, regardless of what your week entailed.  Love to you all and stay warm, dry, and SAFE this week.

Grace & peace,
Cristina.

Comments

Popular Posts